You can of course find cake fondant in most cake supply stores or even in supermarkets. But that can be rather expensive, especially when you are experimenting and trying to be creative. Also, you can never know what it contains. That is why sometimes it is better to make rolling fondant at home.
It doesn’t take much time. Some recipes are a bit more complex, others have secret ingredients and others are just very easy and fast.
I have picked for you a few recipes on how to make rolling fondant at home:
1. The 7 ingredients recipe:
I have found this on biggerbolderbaking.com.
- 1 (.25 ounce, 2 full teaspoons) package unflavored gelatin or agar agar
- ¼ cup cold water
- ½ cup glucose syrup or corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon glycerin
- 2 tablespoons (1oz/30g) shortening or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
Plus 20 minutes of your life. Here you have a very helpful video.
2. 4 ingredients recipe
This was found on honestcooking.com.
The recipe seems less complicated. You only need:
- 0.70 oz (20 g) powdered gelatine + ⅕ cup (50 ml) cold water
- 3.3 oz (100 g) fructose + 1½ tbsp (20 ml) water
- 1 tbsp glycerine
- 30.4 oz (900 g) powdered sugar
Check the entire recipe on the link above.
3. Marshmallows fondant
This had me at marshmallow. Apparently those sweet and fluffy things can save you a ton of work. What you need is:
- 8 ounces miniature marshmallows (4 cups not packed)
- 1 pound powdered sugar (4 cups), plus extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Food coloring and/or flavored extracts, optional
Check the whole process on aroundmyfamilytable.com.
4. Melted chocolate sugar paste
You read that right. Not only sugar, but also chocolate. This I found on craftsy.com.
This is what you need:
- 7 cups (900 g or 2 lb) confectioners’ (powdered or icing) sugar
- 1/3 cup and 2 tablespoons (100 g or 3 1/2 oz) shortening (vegetable fat or white margarine) such as Crisco, Wooden Spoon, Trex or Copha
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) gelatin granules (powder)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- 1/3 cup (105 g or 3 3/4 oz) light corn syrup (liquid glucose)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) glycerine
- 3/4 cup (100 g or 3 1/2 oz) white baking chocolate or candy melts, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) fine table salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice or a few drops of clear vanilla essence
- Food coloring (optional)
- Extra shortening (vegetable fat or white margarine) or non-stick cooking spray
All those ingredients can get you about 2 pounds of sugar paste.
5. The easiest fastest recipe – 3 ingredients
This I know from a friend. What you need is:
- 2.2 lbs (1kg) sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 oz. (30g) powdered gelatine
- 20 fl oz. (60ml) lemon juice
What you need to do is melt the gelatine powder in the lemon juice over boiling water. After it is melted, just add the sugar little by little and knead it. Keep adding sugar and kneading until it no longer sticks to your hands. Or you can use this silicone bag to reduce the mess.
Good luck and let me know which one worked best for you!